Thursday, March 27, 2008

Lesser of Two Evils


In the spirit of Panic at the Disco's new release, Pretty. Odd. a few days ago I had the misfortune of stumbling upon the argument thats as old as emo itself, Panic at the Disco (sans the !) or Fall Out Boy. Now I know how popular it is to bash both these bands, but lets face it unless you've completely lived under a rock you've downloaded "I Write Sins not Tradgedies" or "Sugar We're Going Down" maybe even before the overhype.

I happen to fully believe that Panic is the better band, not only live but they seem to have an ounce of creative talent that FOB clearly lack. Say what you want about their music, it may be bad but at least its more original than FOB's third generation alternative/ teen angst dreck

But you may be saying, isnt Pete Wentz sleeping with Ashley Simpson? And to that I say yes, and good for him they can write bad songs together...preferrably about each other.

In short Panic is younger, far less annoying and dare I say slightly likable and even better they are about 19 years old, giving them time to grow and mature as a band. Detractors check out that "That Green Gentleman" off the new album, a Beatles rip, but an admirable one none the less. So for all you Gen Y MTV kids, I say hey, I can't really fault you for this because at the end of teh day, our generation listened to Limp Bizkit.

Panic is better case and point

their live cover of Radiohead's 'Karma Police'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXhtX_xjRBc
By: Peter Rizzo Collegian Staff
discuss...

2 comments:

Kevin Koczwara said...

Admirable post Pete. Issue with the Radiohead cover.....no one in the audience knows the song. that sums up what is wrong with the music int he first place. Plus they have is very lame...advertisement for the sake of advertisement.

I have never in fact downloaded the second song you list, but I did have Panic's EP, you know the stuff with all the Chuck Palahniuk themed songs, more so than their album.

Hopefully people do argue this point, but I believe both bands should go hide under rocks.

Unknown said...

I have to say that last fall, while walking through Puffton at night, a nice jock told me "YOU LOOK LIKE YOU LISTEN TO PANIC AT THE DISCO!". I didn't really know what to think then, I guess I feel slightly better about it now that I know they covered karma police though.

I can admit to downloading "sugar we're going down" and "dance, dance" for guilty pleasure purposes.

I remember singing enthusiastically along to Panic's "I write sins not tragedies" in my car in the summer.

In the end... they're catchy but I guess I can't take either of them too seriously.

I did recently hear that FOB was trying to break a world record for least amount of time to play concerts on all continents. I was impressed... but I did laugh when I heard that bad weather hindered their last destination.

Didn't FOB discover Panic! ? I guess if you think FOB's music is worse, at least they have good taste.

It's actually sort of embarrassing that I have so much to say about them.