Thursday, April 17, 2008

Placido Domingo at the WANG!



The ceiling came down, literally and figuratively, at the Wang Theater on Monday during the Placido Domingo concert.

Upon arrival I realized I was in the middle of what seemed to be a velvet convention for the women, and a mobster’s paradise among the men. Men wearing pinstripes and carrying their ladies in the arms as the dresses, black velvet, swayed in the breeze. Where I was located in the theater was among many Mob members and one stood out. He had a huge bottom lip, like it had been hooked by a fishing line before, and his face looked like that of a rhino. But he had two lovely ladies with him.

The Mobsters loved their opera star. I could hear the “Bravos” coming from the big Italian man a few rows away. The woman sitting next to me clapping with a soft pitter-pattering of clapping, it showed how classy she was.

The cheers came after Domingo sang with what seemed to be a hot air balloon’s worth of air came from his lungs. the cheers came for his movement’s across the stage were as smooth as all the velvet in the crowd. His smile glistened like the diamond of the woman sitting next to me ( that thing was huge). And he even took a beautiful lady home with him from the orchestra that was baking his performance. The cello player looked shocked but fell under Domingo’s love-spell. He is a ladies’ man.

The crowd of mobster’s ate up Domingo’s performance like the spaghetti and meatballs from dinner in North End earlier that night. The reveled outside after the performance as if they were reliving the canolas from Mike’s Pastries they ate earlier that night. The Mob is apparently a huge fan of Mr. Domingo and they came out in swarms to see him sing.

I on the other hand am left wondering if that was really ceiling that fell near me. Or if it was hit attempt against someone in my section. I hope it was the first one.

No comments: